Friday, August 24, 2012

This week's wrap-up: Following the wall

I dedicated Monday to cleaning up the bottom level of the wall feature and drawing and photographing the unit.  The first level of the wall, which was first unearthed back in May, was comprised of stones that ranged in size.  Some stones were even still attached by mortar.



Once I was able to get below the stones, the second level contained large chunks of mortar and mortar dust.  Once I finished excavating that level, I hit the natural level.  The bottom of the wall is approximately 1.75' from ground level and 2.5' wide.  In the picture below, you can see that I kept some of the stones in the unit wall.  On the left side (the southern wall closest to the house), the stones that remain are securely set in the unit wall.  The stones on the right side (northern wall) are stacked on top of one another and are attached by solid mortar.  They seem to extend into the newly opened Unit 5.





Here are some photos of my friend Michelle and I working on Level 1 in the new unit:




We finished Level 1 and numerous stones are starting to emerge that seem to line up with the stone wall from the other unit.  We found all of the usual artifacts--nails, ceramics, and glass.  At the end of the day, Michelle found a button in the screen.


While it does not date the Graeme period, it was still an interesting find.  This is the fifth or sixth button I have found since beginning in May.  

Stay tuned for further updates!



No comments:

Post a Comment